40 Ways To Boost Your Mood
When life gives you lemons you can count on a few things to bring your spirits up, whether that be by throwing yourself a pity party with cookie dough and Disney films or by planning for a better tomorrow. Even if what’s happening to cause you pain is out of your control, how you react to every situation is completely up to you. We are all are going to experience bad days and bad moods but it’s up to us whether to choose to drown in these feelings of sorrow, sadness and anger or if we choose happiness, enjoyment and peace.
Sometimes we can’t help but wake up in a negative “the glass in half empty” mind-set, but when this happens our mood can snowball with every small but slightly annoying thing which happens throughout the day, leading to a bad mood. When this happens I’ve found that the best way to pull myself out of this mood is to do something which makes me feel good and lets my mind focus on something positive.
And on that note, here are 40 ways to boost your mood for when life gives you lemons. Saving my favourite for last!
- Listen to a “feel good” podcast
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Paint your nails or go get your nails done
- Do yoga
- Write in your journal
- Go for a walk
- Go for a run
- Do some exercise
- Dance like no ones watching
- Buy yourself something pretty
- Go for a drive and blast out your favourite tunes
- Ring a friend or relative
- Compliment a stranger
- Cook your favourite “feel good” meal
- Bake yourself a treat
- Read an uplifting book
- Watch an uplifting YouTube channel (here are my favourite personal growth YouTube channels)
- Buy someone you love a surprise gift (just because)
- Go to a crafts shop and create something
- Draw (have your tried adult colouring books*?)
- Watch a sad film (this one might sound counter productive but sometimes you just need to cry)
- Watch a Disney film (entertain your inner child)
- Buy yourself a house plant, love it and take care of it, name it if you wish!
- Write today off as a “bad day” and plan for an amazing day tomorrow
- Plan a holiday (even if you can’t afford it right now, plan a holiday for next year and figure out your savings plan)
- Make funny faces at yourself in the mirror until you can’t help but smile
- Pour yourself a drink (wine? coffee? smoothie? hot chocolate? milkshake?) whatever you fancy!
- Google uplifting quotes
- Look at your old photos and put them in to albums (digital or physical)
- Pig out on sweets and chocolate
- Light some candles, play some relaxing music and have a bubble bath
- Put on a face mask and take a silly selfie of yourself
- De-clutter your closet
- Tidy your office space
- Spend time with your pet (or go to a pet shop)
- Write down why your upset and then underneath write down five things you’re grateful for
- Cuddle (if no one is around cuddle your pet)
- Create a dream board
- Watch funny animal video clips
- Watch this mind blowing video and realise how small we are in the universe. Suddenly our problems seem non-existent!
What are some of your favourite ways to boost your mood?